1. The time I walked through a sudden patch of cold air as I was going upstairs from the lower level.*
2. The time my son’s musical “Thomas & Friends” book started playing in the other room late at night, while everyone else was in bed.**
3. The time my newborn was looking at something over my shoulder and crying, but I couldn’t tell what it was.***
4. This one time.****
5. All those times I was lying in bed at night, about to fall asleep, and it felt like someone (OR SOMETHING?!?!?) was applying gentle pressure to my ear with one finger.***** Continue reading
- It’s very late at night.
- I’m the only one awake in the house.
- I’m watching my husband and son, who are both sleeping on our bed, over the video monitor.
- I watched Paranormal Activity 4 today. (It wasn’t bad. Easily the fourth-best Paranormal Activity I’ve seen.)
- So my husband and son are both motionless, but my cat is also on the bed and licking herself in a very ordinary way, so I know the feed is live and hasn’t gotten stuck.
- I’m sitting at my laptop, maybe fifteen yards away — close enough to the bedroom that I can hear the white-noise machine both through the door and over the monitor.
- There’s a weird knocking sound I can hear over the monitor, but not through the door.
- I totally believe in ghosts. (I’m undecided about demons, because they always seem very religious to me, and I’m not a religious person. But anyway.)
- I’ve been watching this feed with the unexplained video-only knocking for a few otherwise-quiet minutes, and this is exactly the point in a Paranormal Activity movie where something loud/fast/scary would happen.
- OH MY GOD, THE BABY JUST STARTED CRYING RIGHT WHEN I TYPED “LOUD.”
- OK, he’s fine now. But that was terrible timing.
- Almost the kind of jump-scare fake-out you would find in a Paranormal Activity movie… that’s it. I’m totally shitting my pants.
- (Probably doesn’t help that I had huevos rancheros for brunch.)